The wedding sector has received a boost after it was announced the limit on the number of people who can attend weddings in England will be scrapped from Monday (June 21).
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said in Monday’s press conference that the 30-person cap on wedding ceremonies and receptions will be removed as planned.
But receptions will be table service only and guests must wear face coverings indoors. In addition, weddings will still need to comply with social distancing requirements, whether it be 2 metres or 1 metre+.
Dancefloors are forbidden inside, while for private ceremonies outdoors, dancing will not be illegal, but will be strongly advised against.
Weddings for 30 people aren’t financially viable so the removal of a cap on guests is much-needed as the industry tries to recover from Covid-19
CLA President Mark Bridgeman said:
“Wedding businesses and soon-to-be-wedded couples will breathe a sigh of relief. This is testimony to the excellent work of the UK Weddings Taskforce, which the CLA has been helping on behalf of its members operating wedding venues.
"2020 was a catastrophic year for an industry that endured a financial loss of £7bn, with 320,000 weddings postponed/cancelled since March last year.
"Weddings for 30 people aren’t financially viable so the removal of a cap on guests is much-needed as the industry tries to recover from Covid-19.
"While there are still some restrictions in place which will deter weddings from returning to normal, hopefully these will be lifted in due course."
Read the guidance in full here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-wedding-and-civil-partnership-ceremonies-receptions-and-celebrations