Applications open for off-grid household rebates

The government has opened the payment application process for households off the grid. CLA Senior Business & Economics Adviser explains
Renewable energy farming

Households that have to rely on their energy from off the grid can now apply for a £400 rebate to support them from high energy prices.


Households are eligible for the £400 rebate if they do not have an electricity meter or pay an energy company directly, and are living in one of the following:

  • A residential park home.
  • A boat on a permanent residential mooring.
  • In a property that is part of a heat network without an electricity meter.
  • Social or private rented accommodation with a business energy connection or communal electricity supply.
  • A home that is off the mains electricity or gas grid.
  • A care home or assisted living facility and paying for some or all of their care.
  • In a separate domestic home within a non-domestic property, such as a farmhouse or a flat above a shop.
  • On a permanent gypsy or traveller site.


The following categories are not eligible for the rebate if the applicant lives:

  • In purpose-built student accommodation.
  • In a care home and not paying their own fees.
  • In accommodation provided by an employer.
  • As a property guardian.
  • In business premises, such as a pub or hotel, where the address is the same as the business address.
  • On a boat with a continuous cruising licence.
  • On a non-permanent caravan or mobile home site.

Applicants will also need to have a bank account in their name to get the £400.

How to apply

Homes will have to apply for the £400 on the government portal or by calling 0808 175 3287.

If successful, the payment will be made through their local council.

If applying yourself, you should then receive a response from the council within six weeks and local authorities will check you do live at the recorded address.

A successful applicant must:

  • Pay for the energy their home uses.
  • Apply for their main, permanent home.
  • Have a fixed address in England, Scotland or Wales.

Given the process being adopted by the government and the checks required, it could be a number of weeks that successful applicants receive the rebate.

Key contact:

Charles Trotman
Charles Trotman Senior Economics and Rural Business Adviser, London