Acting Director Ann Maidment and Rural Surveyor Will Langer recently attended the Cornwall Farm Business Awards and saw CLA Member, James Kittow Butcher and Grazier, take home Cornwall's Farmer of the Year.
James Kittow is an award-winning family business specialising in rearing rare pedigree breeds, in order to produce high quality, traditional British meat.
In addition to being modern and progressive in terms of the production of raw meat cuts and cooked meats, James Kittow offers a bespoke butchery service for farmers and smallholders that wish to retail their own meats or who may just want them for the freezer at home.
Attendees at the CLA marquee at the Royal Cornwall Show will have sampled Kittow’s produce, which has been used in previous years for breakfast and lunch.
The awards, hosted by the Addington Fund were held on 21 March and recognised the individuals, families and companies for their ability and contribution to Cornish agriculture.
Earlier that day, James had hosted a group of CLA members at his processing plant near Par, Cornwall, before dashing off to put on his best threads to attend the awards ceremony where he took home not just one, but two awards.
Winning the award for the category 'Best Farm Processor', before taking home the award of the night Cornwall's Farmer of the year.
Acting Director Ann Maidment said: "It was a pleasure to attend the Cornwall Farm Business Awards and see such a wide variety of individuals and businesses recognised for their contribution to agriculture in Cornwall.
"It was a fabulous evening, hosted by the Addington Fund which helped to raise just under £4000 for the charity as well as recognise the diversity of agriculture in Cornwall."
Winners from all categories were:
- Best Commercial Farmer – Peter Cowling, WPL Cowling & Son (sponsored by Carter Jonas & AMC)
- Best Woman in Agriculture – Helen Davey, Cracking Good Eggs (sponsored by Handlesbanken)
- Best Mixed Farmer – Matt & Pip Smith, Trefrank Farm (sponsored by PKF Francis Clark)
- Best Farm Processor – James Kittow, James Kittow Butcher & Grazier (sponsored by Savills)
- Best Dairy Farmer- Keith, Michael & Malcolm Barrett, KD Barrett & Sons (sponsored by Dairy Crest)
- Best Young Farmer – John Frayne (sponsored by Natwest)
- Farming Champion – John Moss (sponsored by NFU)
- Cornwall’s Farmer of the Year – James Kittow (sponsored by Cornish Mutual)
Congratulations to James and all winners at the awards.