The Borderlands Inclusive Growth Deal was formally signed on 18 March 2021, bringing up to £452 million of fresh investment to the Borderlands area. Ministers of the UK and Scottish governments and representatives of the five councils of the Borderlands Partnership signed the deal at a virtual ceremony.
The deal covers the largest geographical area of any regional growth deal negotiated with the UK and Scottish Governments and is the first cross-border deal. The regional partnership is made up of Carlisle City Council, Cumbria County Council, Dumfries and Galloway Council, Northumberland County Council and Scottish Borders Council.
Delivery has already started on some of the projects, following the release of early funding by the UK Government. This includes:
- top-up funding for a Digital Voucher scheme supporting businesses and private customers to install high-speed broadband
- funding for the development of the Borderlands Energy Masterplan
- £5 million towards the building of Lilidorei, a large-scale new play village to enhance the visitor offer at the Alnwick Gardens
- work to redevelop Carlisle Station
- a £3 million investment towards the Ad Gefrin Visitor Experience and Distillery in Northumberland
More information about the full deal can be accessed via this link.