Somerset Emergency Flood Relief Fund
Communities on the Somerset Levels have reached a crisis point as they cope with extensive and long-term flooding. For many it is the second time in two years they have been affected, and whole communities have been cut off for weeks.
The response within the communities themselves has been magnificent but there is only so much they can do for themselves. As part of our Surviving Winter campaign Somerset Community Foundation is urgently appealing for donations to relieve the immediate hardship people are facing and support their recovery over the coming weeks and months. With your help, we will help families and communities get back on their feet as quickly as possible.
Donations can be made in the following ways:
- You can donate online
- You can donate by calling us on 01749 344949.
- You can donate by sending a cheque made payable to Somerset Community Foundation and write Flood Relief on the back of the cheque. Please send it to us at Yeoman House, Bath and West Showground, Shepton Mallet, Somerset BA4 6QN.
If you are a UK Taxpayer, please also use this gift aid form to add 25% to your donation.
Our target is to raise £150,000.
We will use funds raised to:
- Provide emergency relief grants to people whose homes have been flooded to meet the immediate financial burdens of moving out, pumping and drying, and emergency repairs. These are £250 and usually awarded within 48 hours of receipt of an eligible application.
- Help those who face additional financial burdens as a result of the flooding, for example though loss of earnings, extended daily commutes and school runs.
- Support local micro-businesses to ensure their survival and swift recovery as an essential part of the local community and economy through grants and, where applicable, loans.
- Support counselling and other support services to help people cope with the emotional stress caused by the flooding in the short and medium term.
If donations exceed the immediate need outlined above we will use donations to help communities on the Levels increase their resilience, or retain for future episodes of flooding. As far as possible the cost of administering the fund will be taken from gift aid receipts, and no more than 10% will be taken from non-gift aided donations for administration.
Telephone: 01749 344949
Somerset Community Foundation, Yeoman House, Shepton Mallet, Somerset BA4 6QN